Crafted Vancouver Is Looking for Volunteers
Crafted Vancouver is a registered, not-for-profit, independent organization showcasing a curated programme of events under the Crafted Vancouver umbrella. We organize an annual 25-day festival celebrating multiple craft disciplines in a fresh festival format.
Launched in 2018, the festival features exceptional contemporary and traditional craftsmanship and craft-based work from a selection of local, national and international makers, the unknown and the celebrated.
The festival brings together people who make, feature or sell fine craft and craft appreciators who want to experience and learn about craft in smaller settings and intimate encounters.
TYPES OF EVENTS
Our programme is organized into Crafted Vancouver hosted Signature Events and Event Partner hosted Independent Events and include: Gallery Exhibitions, Artist Talks & Presentations, Crafted In The City – Retail Shop & Showroom Events, Crafted Work Everywhere window Installations, Food & Drinks Events, Hands-On Workshops, Fashion Events, Guided Studio Tours, Opening Receptions, Demonstrations, Readings, REEL Crafted Film Festival, Live Podcast, Walking Tours, Performances and our 2020 featured country Spotlight On Australia events.
Intimate events and open exhibitions that shine a light on the hand-made take place at a variety of select venues throughout Metro Vancouver & Fraser Valley over 25 days in May. Events are held at studios, galleries, museums, gardens, heritage buildings, shops, performance centres, showrooms & luxury retail locations, window installations & theatres. Whether independent or collaborative, each event is designed to highlight the committed maker behind each work in a fresh festival format.
EVENT PARTNER CATEGORIES
Crafted Vancouver pools together a unique blend of local, national & international:
Independent makers + designers, studios & craft collectives, galleries, museums, showrooms, shops & luxury brands, craft & design schools, cultural organizations, craft member associations, curators, scholars, collectors, embassies, writers, chefs and other regional producers of food & beverage
all making, exhibiting, supporting or selling exceptional craft-based work.
EVENT PARTNER DISCIPLINES
Event Partners practice or represent multiple craft disciplines in a multitude of fields including:
interior furnishing & decoration, woodworking, lighting, jewellery, metalworking, ceramics, glass & crystal, fashion, textiles, leatherworking, paper, graphics & printing, games, toys & mechanical objects, musical instrument making, restoration, performing arts, heritage building and gardening, craft-themed film & more.
Our goal is to provide volunteers with a valuable learning experience by engaging with our Event Partners and festival audience. By joining our enthusiastic team, you’re getting in on the ground floor as we work to create a leading craft festival for Vancouver and our national and international guests.
Read about our Signature Events Here
- Crafted Interiors:
About Crafted Interiors
- Crafted in the Valley:
About Crafted in the Valley
- Fashion Runway & Retail Shopping Event:
- Fashion Retail Shopping Event only:
About Fashion Runway & Retail Event
- Crafted in the City:
About Crafted in the City
- Meet the Makers:
About Meet the Makers
- Craft Journeys:
About Craft Journeys
- Crafted Work Everywhere:
About Crafted Work Everywhere
- REEL Crafted Film Festival:
About REEL Crafted Film Festival
- Spotlight on Australia:
About Spotlight On Australia
Please read the Festival FAQ for further information.
We have a number of volunteer opportunities for people seeking to engage with our Event Partners (those who make, feature or sell fine craft) and our festival audience.
Available Pre-Festival Positions Include:
- Programme Guidebook Distribution Team
- Festival Signage Delivery Team
- Please note: Pre-Festival positions require availability starting in March/April to pre-plan with the Crafted Vancouver team and coordinate logistics between craftspeople, venues and our volunteer team.
Available positions during festival: May 1-25, 2020
- Guest Liaison Support Team: e.g. airport pickup/drop offs, hotel to venue transportation, sightseeing etc.
- Festival Photographers
- Crafted Vancouver Ambassador at Signature and Independent Events (e.g. Guest registration, Refreshment table, Catering assistance) including:
- May 1-8 – Australian Textile Exhibition on Granville Island
- Sunday, May 3 – Festival Opening Afternoon Reception (various duties)
- May 3-7 – Crafted Interiors
- Saturday, May 9 – Crafted in the Valley
- Friday, May 15 – Fashion Show & Fashion Retail Event
- May 13, 14, 16, 17 – Meet the Makers
- May 23 – REEL Crafted Film Festival
- Workshop Assistant
- Construction/strike (must be able to lift 50lbs and be comfortable operating power tools)
- Survey team
- & more!
Important 2020 Dates:
- TBA: Mandatory Volunteer Orientation & Welcome meeting
- TBA: Mandatory Volunteer Orientation to Crafted Interiors
- Wednesday, April 8 – Crafted Vancouver Event Partner & Volunteer Mixer at The Loft at Earls Yaletown
Ready to join our Volunteer Team? Please fill out the following form.
If a particular position is of interest, or if you’d like to volunteer but aren’t sure which position is right for you, please contact us for more information. We look forward to hearing from you!
Stephanie Marron | Volunteer Coordinator